Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Secret Talent

It's true. I have a secret talent. It runs in my family, and it's ... a flair for useless trivia.

I can't remember fifty percent of my shopping list, nor do I remember my kids' names on a consistent basis. But I can remember exactly what was in a Swanson's fried chicken TV dinner, circa 1969.

I've had this ever since I could remember. I could be tearing my hair out, trying to remember an algebraic formula, while quite easily pulling David Cassidy's birthday out of the card catalog of my mind.

It's not a particularly useful trait to have ... unless I happen to get a hankering to overthrow Alex Trebek.

So in honor of my useless talent, I am making this Trivia Tuesday. There are no prizes, other than the distinct satisfaction or discovery that you may also have this admirable hidden talent.

Here goes ... oh wait--no using The Google or other such cheater pants methods. Your answers have to be pulled out of the deep twists and turns of your own brain. You can put your answers in the comment section--but no reading the answers of others before you reply!

1. When is David Cassidy's birthday? (You didn't think I was going to leave that one out, did you?)

2. Name two possible desserts in a Swanson's TV dinner from the sixties and/or seventies.

3. What was the first of the Nancy Drew books?

4. From where did Kurt Cobain hail?

5. (Bonus): What was the first line of ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET.?

And: Get your mouse off the Google button, Cheater McCheatsley. (You know who you are!) I'll post the answers tomorrow.

11 comments:

Think Positive, Be Positive said...

Your post, Annie, made me laugh! Sorry to say I couldn't answer any of the questions...I'm hanging my head in shame now...;0)

Annie said...

No shame, Donna! You probably remember the important things! :)

Beth Stilborn said...

1. I'm sure I knew this at one time in my life. I don't suppose it's October 4? I'm just pulling that date out of thin air. And to think I once entered a contest in Tiger Beat to say that I should win David Cassidy's bicycle because "I love David and I love bicycling." (I didn't win. How could there have been a more profound reason than that?)

2. Your TV dinners had DESSERT? Ours on the Canadian prairies just had three sections. One for those buttery mashed potatoes, one for vegetables (which I ignored unless it was just plain corn) and one for meat.

3. Secret of the Old Clock? um, Secret in the Old Attic? or was it the Larkspur Lane one? (Since you didn't make your questions multiple choice, I'm making my answers multiple choice.)

4. Kurt Cobain was after my time.

5. Oddly, I've never read this book. I get the feeling I'm just a tad older than you. I'm guessing that the first line is, "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret." But what do I know?

I came here from the Comment Challenge, and I'm very glad I did!

Ms. Yingling said...

1. April 12. Don't know why I know that!
2. baked apples or a brownie?
3. Secret of the Old Clock
4. Washington State?
5. Are you there, God?

Apparently I have a lot of useless trivia as well! Thanks for the chuckle.

Russ Cox said...

It is nice to know that others have useless trivia syndrome. How come none of those questions ever appear on Jeopardy so I can feel smart for a brief second?

Annie said...

Beth, I actually enjoyed reading your answers more than I enjoyed making up the questions! I, too, was big on the Tiger Beat contests!

Annie said...

Ms. Yingling, You rock! You are almost dead on in your answers. (We must be the same age!) :)

Annie said...

Russ,
I feel the same way. I'm waiting for the day that the Jeopardy category is Tiger Beat or SnacksThatAreDeliciouslyBadForYou.

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are tough ones! But I love trivia, so I'm going to try anyway--even though I don't know the answers at all.

1. May 23rd. It's David Cassidy Day. I think I love it, so what am I so afraid of?

2. A brownie or a vanilla souffle that you had to order before your dinner. It takes a while.

3. The Mystery in the Old McDonald's.

4. Vermont. Hence all the plaid.

5. "So...New Jersey?"

More Trivia Tuesdays, please!

Annie said...

annie,
That was a very valiant and incredibly creative try! I loved your answers!

Sylvia Liu said...

Aw man, I only could answer two: Secret of the Old Clock and Seattle. We're probably of similar vintage though David Cassidy was on his way out when I was into Tiger Beat!