Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Written Word

I always said that first grade was the one grade I'd never teach.  You are responsible for far too much.  My mother was a first grade teacher.  I'd see her up late every night, preparing and planning.  Imagine my surprise when I was offered a first grade position nine years ago and I heard my voice say, I'd love to.  

Now I can honestly say it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.  There's nothing like teaching someone to read.  I love seeing their face when everything starts to blend together and the light goes on.  Sometimes it takes a while for things to start to click.  But when it does, it's all worth it.  

I love it when someone will hold up a book from the classroom and say, "Can I take this home?" 

The written word.  There's nothing like it.  

No comments: